professornana 😊chipper

books for younger readers




Steven Layne was kind enough to send me a copy of his latest picture book. In some ways it is reminiscent of JULIUS THE BABY OF THE WORLD by Kevin Henkes and PETER'S CHAIR by Ezra Jack Keats. A young rabbit is encouraged by his mother, father and grandmother to help love the baby. In truth, I think he would rather be the object of all the loving himself. However, he learns that being an older brother is not such a bother after all. I think I know exactly the person to read this book next as our newest faculty member is expecting a child. Her older children will no doubt make the connection to this book readily.




Helen Ketteman has been a favorite of mine for a long time. She has appeared on panels and spoken at our conference here at SHSU as well. WAYNETTA AND THE CORNSTALK is a Texas variant on Jack and the Beanstalk with three very different magic objects. I already use BUBBA, THE COWBOY PRINCE also by Ketteman and plan to add this one immediately.

It certainly is nice to have a few moments to read through the picture books. Now, on to some fatter fare.