Purposes of the Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of the NCTE (ALAN)
The purpose of this assembly is to promote the reading, teaching, and learning of literature for adolescents by means of, but not limited to, the following: programs and conferences, including the ALAN Workshop at the annual NCTE Convention; publications, including The ALAN Review (a periodical journal); a presence online through the ALAN website and social media outlets*; and research and scholarship in the field, especially through the ALAN Research Foundation.
ALAN Mission Statement
The Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of the National Council of Teachers of English:
• Defines young adult literature as works in a wide variety of genres and forms, including multi-media formats, with topics relevant to the interests and needs of young people in middle and high school.
• Promotes the inclusion of young adult literature as a bridge to other curricular works and as a stand-alone curricular selection in both the English language arts program and across the curriculum.
• Supports educators and librarians in their use of the literature, advocates the right to read the literature, and defends freedom of choice for independent reading, inclusion in classrooms, presence in library collections, and in book clubs.
• Provides opportunities for teachers, librarians, teacher educators, and others involved in the use of young adult literature to enhance their practice and teaches the educational community and general public about the value of this literature.
• Celebrates the ever-changing nature of the field and welcomes artistic innovation, experimentation, and risk-taking by authors, publishers, and others involved in the creation of young adult literature.
• Evaluates young adult literature on its individual merits and in the context of larger bodies of literature as appropriate and engages in ongoing rethinking of the literary canon.
• Cooperates with other organizations that advocate similar goals and objectives.
Here is how that looks in a word cloud: