The Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of the National Council of Teachers of English (ALAN) is seeking a Webmaster for its popular, growing website, ALAN Online (www.alan-ya.org). The website publishes information about the assembly and its activities, awards, grants, workshops, and other relevant topics.
Under the direction of the ALAN Executive Committee, the ALAN Online Webmaster maintains the website, manages the site data, posts information, answers inquiries, corresponds with the server host, and performs other duties as required.
1. Creates and posts web content from ALAN officers and Ad Hoc Public Relations Committee members using WordPress and other tools, as appropriate
2. Actively recruits web content from current members and others in the field of YA
3. Creates timely backups of data
4. Reviews all web content prior to and after release to maintain professional quality pages and ensure that all links are active and accurate
5. Responds to e-mails about the site
6. Serves as an ex-officio member of the ALAN Board of Directors
7. Attends the annual ALAN Board meeting and submits a report on the status of the site
8. Serves as a member of the Ad Hoc Public Relations Committee and helps coordinate postings by Ad Hoc PR members and ALAN officers to the website and various social networks, including Facebook and Twitter
1. Self-motivated with skills in website design, writing, data and site management, and graphic design, as well as basic HTML knowledge
2. Experience with mysql, cpanel, CMS, and graphics software, or a willingness to learn
3. Sufficient time to dedicate to keeping the site up-to-date
4. ALAN membership
The ALAN Online Webmaster will receive an honorarium of $500 per year plus $500 for travel to the Annual Workshop while serving as Webmaster. In addition, the Webmaster will receive free registration to the ALAN Workshop and ALAN Breakfast. The appointment is a three-year term with the possibility of an additional three-year reappointment by the ALAN Board.
Please send a letter of interest stating your qualifications for the position. Include a vision statement that describes how you will stay abreast of changes in online communications and include those in the website. Please also include names and contact information for three individuals who can speak to your abilities. Please submit the letter as an attachment using the header, ALAN Webmaster, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application letters will be accepted until May 1, 2011. The Webmaster will be selected by the ALAN Executive Committee and will assume office after a transitional period at the annual ALAN Board meeting in November 2011. In the interim, the newly appointed Webmaster will work in tandem with outgoing Webmaster, Matt Skillen, to ensure a smooth transition. Notification of appointment will be made by June 15, 2011.
For additional information regarding the position, please contact ALAN President, Wendy Glenn (email@example.com ).