professornana cool for now home

picture books for older readers

Since I had some appointments with decorators and cabinet makers yesterday, I stuck to picture books most of the morning. I hate to get sucked into a novel and then have to put it down to deal with real life. So, here are the books I read while waiting for folks to show up. I think most of them would work well with oder readers, too.






I think Jon Agee's books of puns and oxymorons and palindromes are hysterical, so I was prepared to love MR. PUTNEY'S QUACKING DOG (Scholastic 2010). The text is set up in a Q & A format. So, wat wakes Mr. Putney in the morning? Turn the page and there, next to his clock, is an armadillo yelling, "YO!" It is his alarmadillo. Yes, you may groan. What a terrific way to emphasize the need to play with words, to invent new ways of telling about things. There is an oranguton, a goruler, and a socktopus among other creature. Predicting skills are a must here. <335>




BONES by Steve Jenkins (Scholastic 2010) has a grinning skull on the cover. How many kids will rush to this one and be delighted to learn more about skeletons? Jenkins allows readers to see comparisons (human neck versus giraffe neck, for instance) side by side. He notes the scale for the bones as well. Some are actual size and some are magnified or reduced to allow for careful scrutiny. I loved the centerfold of the rib cage of the python (just shy of 200 pairs of ribs) shown actual size over the fold out spread. Lots to scrutinize here. <336>




Mark Teague's bold illustrations add to the humor of FIREHOUSE! (Orchard 2010). While the text may seem simple, there is much in the illustrations for readers to pore over. Check out the firemice. <337>